Naturopathic medicine combines traditional therapies with modern medicine. It is appropriate for all physical health conditions, preventative health care, mental and emotional well being.
How are ND’s similar to MD’s?
- Both are Licensed Physicians
- Are Regulated by Board of Examiners
- Have Continuing Education Requirements
- Write Prescriptions for Pharmaceuticals
- Draw Blood, Request Labs, Imaging
- Give IV’s
- Perform Physical Exams, Pap, Prostate, Lung, Heart
How are we different?
- Philosophy and Principles
- How We Practice Medicine
- Order of Therapy Applied
- Types of Therapies Used
- NDs’ Don’t Perform Major Surgery
- ND’s Don’t Prescribe Class 1 and 2 Medications
What are the Principles of a Naturopathic Doctor?
1. Primum Non Nocere
First, do no harm
We share this principle with MD’s. Naturopathic physicians use effective and safe medicine with many modalities to draw on such as botanical medicine, acupuncture, nutrition, and counseling to support the healing journey.
2. Tolle Causum
Address the cause
By finding and treating the cause, we will eliminate the symptoms. If the cause is not removed, symptoms will continue to reappear or new symptoms will develop. If you have a headache, along with finding a treatment for the pain, it is just as important to find the reason the headache started in the first place. It could be caused by a food sensitivity, or from nutrient deficiencies or maybe from dehydration. Each of these would require a different treatment plan. By addressing the cause, symptoms will resolve themselves.
3. Vis Medicatrix Naturae
Treat with the healing power of nature
Our bodies have innate wisdom and strength. The healing process is ordered and intelligent. The goal of Naturopathic physicians is to…
- Identify and remove obstacles to health
- Establish a healthy internal environment
- Establish a healthy external environment
4. Tolle Totum
Heal the whole person through individualized treatment
Naturopathic physicians will address the patient in a holistic way, looking at all aspects including physical, mental, emotional, and/or spiritual. No two patients with the same “disease” have the same presentation of symptoms. Different people respond differently to treatments. We will work together to come up with a unique plan that works for your body and your lifestyle.
The word ‘Doctor’ is from the Latin root Docere meaning ‘to teach’. Treating the cause of disease can require significant life changes. I am here to provide support, encouragement and education. As we work together, I will give you tools that you can use at home. Naturopathic physicians will teach…
- Principles of healthy living
- Explanation of the biochemistry of the body
- Understanding the connection between our thoughts, emotions and our health
- And much more!
Prevention is the best medicine
Reduce your risk of disease by changing your lifestyle now! Enhance your bodies internal environment to prevent heart attack, stroke, cancer, arthritis, and more. Changing our environment can help us overcome genetic predispositions to certain health conditions.